At least 20 killed in ‘terrorist attacks’ near Iranian Guards commander Soleimani’s tomb during ceremony By Reuters


DUBAI (Reuters) -Two explosions caused by ‘terrorist attacks’ killed at least 20 people and wounded dozens near a cemetery in Iran where a ceremony was being held to mark the 2020 death of the country’s top commander Qassem Soleimani in a U.S. drone attack, Iranian officials said on Wednesday.

Iranian state television reported a first and then a second explosion during the ceremony in the southeastern city of Kerman, saying at least 20 people had been killed.

“The blasts were caused by terrorist attacks,” state media quoted a local official in the Kerman province as saying.

The semi-official Nournews had said earlier that “several gas canisters exploded on the road leading to the cemetery”.

State TV showed Red Crescent rescuers attending to wounded people at the ceremony, where hundreds of Iranians had gathered to mark the anniversary of Soleimani’s death. Some Iranian news agencies said at least 50 people were wounded.

“Our rapid response teams are evacuating the injured… But there are waves of crowds blocking roads,” Reza Fallah, head of the Kerman province Red Crescent told state TV.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *